British Pre-World War One Campaign Medals
Awarded for Colonial Service
By Stephen Sherman, Dec. 2008. Updated July 20, 2011.
After the Boer War, the British colonial activities were quieter, and remained so until the start of World War One in 1914. Thus, there were relatively few campaign medals issued in this period.
Africa General Service Medal 1902-56
This medal was first instituted in 1902 for Campaigns on the African Continent, and was issued to British and Colonial Forces, The Medal remained in use for 54 years, the longest running British service Medal, Bearing the effigy of Elizabeth 11 it was issued with the Bar Kenya for service during the Mau Mau Campaign of 1952-56.
The reverse of the medal is shown upper left.
Tibet Medal 1903-04
The Tibet Medal was awarded in 1905 for services in Tibet during the Gyantse campaign to members of the Tibet Mission and accompanying troops who served at or beyond Silgari from 13 December 1903 to 23 September 1904.
Natal Medal 1906
Awarded by the Natal government to local units involved in the suppression of the Zulu Rebellion in 1906.
Naval General Service Medal 1909-64The Naval General Service Medal (NGS) 1915-62 was instituted on 6 August 1915 for service in minor naval conflicts or operations. This medal has a total of 16 clasps which commemorate the various actions. The individual clasps are listed chronologically:
- Persian Gulf 1909-1914
- Iraq 1919-1920
- NW Persia 1919-20
- NW Persia 1920
- Palestine 1936-1939
- SE Asia 1945-46
- Minesweeping 1945-51
- Palestine 1945-48
- Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-53
- Malaya 1948-60
- Yangtze 1949
- Bomb & Mine Clearance, Mediterranean 1955
- Cyprus 1955-59
- Near East 1956
- Arabian Peninsula 1957-60
- Brunei 1962
Khedive's Sudan Medal 1910
Instituted 12th February 1897 on the approval Abbas Hilmi Pasha, Khedive of Egypt, this medal was initially to commemorate the reconquest of the Dongola province, with the clasps Firket and Hafir included in the original army order (No. 43). Later army orders extended it to cover battles and actions up to 1908 which were commemorated with a further 13 clasps.